Neosporin is the automatic go to for many people when they get scrapes, cuts and any other minor injuries. Although many of us have used this antibacterial topical ointment for years, one quick read over its ingredients list might make us stop and question why we are putting this on our skin!
Ingredients in Neosporin include Neomycin Sulfate Polymxin B, Bacitracin Zinc, Pramoxine and more, all mixed in petroleum jelly. There are many side effects commonly associated with these ingredients such as allergic reactions, muscle twitching, convulsions, hearing loss, fetal harm, rashes, hives, tightness in the chest, and the list goes on. And even with all of these unknown ingredients in it, Neosporin costs about $10 an ounce!
Thankfully, Mother Nature provides us with a bounty of beneficial ingredients that promote healing, without the side effects associated with pharmaceutical alternatives. So, today I’m going to show you how to make an all natural – yet potent – topical antibacterial solution.
In the recipe below, each ingredient contains many healing properties. The base is a combination of oils that are anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and anti-fungal. The herbs have various medicinal properties as well. Beeswax is a skin protectant, keeping irritants off the skin while allowing air circulation into the injured area. Witch Hazel helps to clean and disinfect wounds while speeding up the healing process. These are just some of the incredible benefits of this natural antibiotic ointment.
Recipe – Natural Antibiotic Ointment
– 1/2 cup of organic coconut oil
– 1/2 cup of organic almond oil, grapeseed oil, or olive oil
– 1/2 cup of the healing herbs of your choice (try chamomile, calendula, comfrey, lavender, plantain leaves… or learn more about healing herbs here.)
– 4 tbsp of conscious, organic beeswax
– 2 teaspoons of witch hazel
– 15 drops lavender or tea tree essential oils (optional)
1. Put herbs in a glass jar and pour oil over herbs. Make sure they are submerged.
2. Put glass jar into a saucepan half filled with water. Heat on low heat for 30 minutes. Stir often.
3. Strain the herbs from the oil with a coffee filter, cheesecloth, t-shirt, etc.
4. Place strained oil in the jar back into the saucepan with water.
5. Add the beeswax. Stir well.
6. Take off the heat once it is fully melted
7. Add witch hazel and mix
8. Once cooled, put into a container of choice and store in a cool, dark place. (Keeps for up to a year.)
9. Apply directly to scrapes, cuts, burns, diaper rash, dry skin, athlete’s foot, etc. as required.
Cheers to your health!
Alex, Earthie Mama
ps. Learn how to make nature’s most powerful oral antibiotic here.
This article is republished with full permission from our friends at WakeUpWorld. Do not republish without seeking and obtaining your own permission. And, please, have a look around WakeUpWorld’s website and continue to ExpandYourConsciousness!
Previous articles by Earthie Mama:
- Make Your Own Bug-Away Spray (Easy Recipe)
- Nature’s Most Powerful Antibiotics (Recipe Included!)
- 10 Health Benefits of Cucumbers
- Dirt is NOT Dirty – How Playing in the Dirt Benefits the Immune System
- How to Make Kombucha
- Practical Tips for Raising Earth-Conscious Children
- Natural Body Care… In Your Kitchen
- Homemade Ginger Ale Recipe
About the author: Alex is a True Earthie Mama, helping others tune into their most natural state while bringing harmony and balance into all areas of their lives in order to thrive. Alex has a well known blog on health, wellness, conscious parenting, green living and getting off the grid to self sustainability: earthiemama.com. She also has an MA in Psychology, and is a registered Yoga Instructor, environmentalist, conscious mother, green living expert and birthing expert. She also sells all natural products and her ebooks through her website.
Please note: This article is for information purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jam-packed with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It'll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won't last long!