A piece that has been circulating around the internet argues that spiritually gifted people may find themselves affected by strange things. 5 While that may seem silly at first, we’ve found some science to back up some of the strange things you might be experiencing. So, get ready to have some fun and go through this checklist to see how many you can relate to below:
1) Claim: You are affected by lunar cycles. 5 Potential Reason: A commonly mentioned phenomenon is that spiritually gifted people have trouble sleeping during the Full and New phases of the moon. Interestingly, a team of Swiss researchers looked at cycles of the moon and sleep. They found, significant increases to sleep disruption during the time immediately surrounding the Full moon (for instance, taking 5 more minutes to fall asleep and spending 30% less time in the deepest phase of sleep than during other moon phases).6 Could spiritually gifted people be more sensitive to these changes?
2) Claim: You have trouble sleeping during the time of night called the “Witching Hour” (3:00-4:00 am). 5 Potential Reason: Erica Seigneur, a neurosciences Ph.D. student at Stanford, explains that “In folklore and literature, the sleeping hours represent a state of heightened vulnerability, a time when the “ghoulies and ghosties, and long-leggedy beasties” roam free and wreak havoc.” 7 Myths and legends aside, what is it spiritually gifted people may feel during this troubling time of night?
3) Claim: Animals are drawn to you. 5 Potential Reason: A study by researchers collaborating from the University Québec in Canada and the University of Melbourne in Australia found that in humans, solidarity with animals was significantly associated with empathy and openness to experience as well as negatively associated with a different form of prejudice like racism and ageism. 8 Could it be that animals can feel this openness in spiritually gifted people?
4) Claim: Your emotions can influence your physical surroundings. 5 Potential Reason: Forbes had an article that might hint at why this could be possible. Jack Fraser from Oxford wrote about how the human body creates electromagnetic fields: “Virtually every single process which is keeping you alive can be traced back to an electric field that some component of your body is creating.” Fraser explains, “You are an electric field — a giant electric field which holds your atoms together, and which uses other electric fields to talk to other bits of yourself.”9 So, maybe, just maybe, those people who say they can’t wear watches because they always stop on their wrists are actually spiritually gifted people whose electrical fields are a bit more intense.
5) Claim: You have an unusual number of encounters with strangers and just strange people. 5 Potential Reason: The field of Spiritual Intelligence might explain this one. Cindy Wigglesworth, an expert on spiritual intelligence defines it as “The ability to behave with wisdom and compassion, while maintaining inner and outer peace, regardless of the situation.” 10 It is not hard to imagine that if you demonstrate compassion and outer peace, all kinds of people would be easily drawn to you!
6) Claim: You are your own walking weather station. 5 Potential Reason: There are many reports of people who feel coming weather changes in their joints or the onset of headaches. Dr. Simon Robson from the School of Marine and Tropical Biology at James Cook University in Australia says that “it’s likely they are reacting to the lower atmospheric pressure.” Intriguingly, though, Dr. Robson notes that animals “use cues from the world around them” in response to impending weather changes.11 If spiritually gifted people have a greater connectedness with nature and the world around them, it is not such a stretch to think that some do sense when the weather is about to change.
7) Claim: You can sense when there is negative energy in the room. 5 Potential Reason: When it comes to how people might process positive or negative events, psychologist Shelley Taylor of UCLA wrote, “extended energies are taken up in the management of negative information and events and that in certain respects, positive events and information may take care of themselves. Negative events seem to be where much of the physiological, affective, cognitive, and social action is.”12
If spiritually gifted people do feel deeply what Satish Kumar called “compassion and unity and relatedness and connection with all of existence,” then their energies may be even more consumed by the management of negative information they receive from people and their surroundings.
There’s actually some interesting research out there that may help you decide whether you or your children might be spiritually gifted. Here’s a summary of the key qualities of spiritual intelligence that these unique people possess that have been confirmed by leading researchers in the field of emotional intelligence and psychology.
These unique characteristics or abilities include: 4
- You may have the capacity to feel and transcend the physical and material life and look for meaning beyond what most people can see.
- You might have the ability to experience heightened states of consciousness or awareness that allows you to sense the truth about certain situations and/or people and calmly make decisions and help others.
- You may possess the ability to sanctify everyday experience so that you are able to live in the moment and experience deep gratitude for your life and in turn help others.
- You have the ability to utilize spiritual resources to solve problems. This could mean listening to your inner voice or praying to God or simply allowing the answers to enter your consciousness.
- You are virtuous and have high moral standards that cannot be influenced by others.
- You are very conscious that your physical reality is part of a much bigger multidimensional reality with which we interact, consciously and unconsciously, on a moment-to-moment basis and you know that knowledge is available to you that is beyond yourself.
- The conscious pursuit of psychological health, not only for ourselves but also for the sake of the global community: you are always trying to grow and be a better person.
Is your child is spiritually gifted?
It is often parents who first recognize spiritual gifts in their children. Here again, Prof. Piechowski summarized some of the characteristics that children with spiritual gifts may have:
- An ability to reach heightened consciousness through meditation or “an active ‘fantasy’ life that blurs the distinctions of so-called reality” 4
- A “wisdom beyond their years (they may ask penetrating questions of purpose and meaning from an early age); and are able to connect to some infinite energy” 4
- A strongly felt “connection to the world around them in addition to their inner self, other people and God (however God is defined).”2
Prof. Fraser offers some advice to parents and teachers to better support children with spiritual gifts by suggesting that we find outlets for kids by getting them involved with global activism and joining organizations like Greenpeace, Amnesty International, and Habitat for Humanity.9
Parents and teachers can also encourage times of stillness and silence where children can become transfixed and unfettered by timetables and subject changes. They can provide creative outlets through the arts wherein children can become immersed in the art form with which they are engaged. They can provide stories about resilience in the face of unrelenting hardship and injustice, and they can provide environments where it is safe and acceptable to have the courage of one’s convictions.”2
Once you’ve identified that you might have some of these gifts, how do you develop and support this spiritual intelligence? Here is a terrific short video clip of Cindy Wigglesworth discussing her Model of Spiritual Intelligence. She touches on some areas you can develop to enhance your skills in the areas of Self Awareness, Universal Awareness, Self Mastery, Social Mastery, and Spiritual Presence.
And, here’s a video of the popular article we reference at the beginning of our article. Do you think we did a good job of backing up these claims with science?
After reading and considering all of this, have you experienced strange things? Do you believe that you might be a spiritually gifted person? Do you think that there are certain hardships to being a spiritually gifted person? Thanks for taking the time to read our article. If you feel moved, please comment on our Facebook page and share your own experiences!
1Kumar, S. (2000). Soul Man. New Scientist, 2243, 46-49.
2Fraser, D. (2011). Supporting Spiritual Giftedness. Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted—SENG.
3Palmer, P. (2003). Teaching with Heart and Soul: Reflections on Spirituality in Teacher Education. Journal of Teacher Education, 54 (5), 376-385.
4Piechowski, M. M. (2003). Emotional and Spiritual Giftedness. In N. Colangelo & G. A. Davis (Eds.), Handbook of Gifted Education (3rd ed.) (pp. 403-416). Boston: Pearson Education.
5Spiritually Gifted People May Be Affected By These 7 Strange Things. 3 April 2018. Life Coach Code.
6Breus MJ. Is the Moon Affecting Your Sleep? 6 August 2013. Psychology Today.
7Seigneur E. Brains That Go Bump In The Night: Stanford Biologist Talks About Parasomnias. 30 October 2015. Stanford Medicine Scope.
8Amiot CE , Bastian B. Solidarity with Animals: Assessing a Relevant Dimension of Social Identification with Animals. PLOS One. 3 January 2017.
9Fraser J. How The Human Body Creates Electromagnetic Fields. 3 November 2017. Forbes.
10Wigglesworth C. SQ 21: The Twenty-One Skills of Spiritual Intelligence. Select Books, 2012.
11ABC Science. (Australian Broadcasting Company). Can Animals Predict the Weather? 8 May 2010.
12Taylor SE. Asymmetrical Effects of Positive and Negative Events: The Mobilization-Minimization Hypothesis. Psychological Bulletin. 1991:110; 67-85.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jam-packed with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It'll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won't last long!