People often make fitness more difficult than it is. Truth be told, there’s no “quick fix” for better health, and there’s no easy way to a fit and healthy body. You are what you eat, and calories in vs. calories out determines whether you’ll gain, maintain or lose weight. However, there are things you can do to make the way to fitness a little easier. Here are 10 ways you can “cheat” your body into burning more calories.
10 Cheats to Help You Burn More Calories
- Sneak Short Workouts In. Throughout each day, fit in small “bursts” of exercise, such as running up the stairs instead of taking the elevator, parking at the back of the parking lot, or sneaking in some quick push-up, sit-up or squat sets. Regular exercise not only burns calories, but exercise helps improve brain function as well.
- Drink More Water. A properly hydrated body will help ensure your metabolism gets –and stays – in proper working order, thereby helping you to burn calories more efficiently. Proper water intake will also help you avoid the food cravings that can come as a result of dehydration.
- Eat Spicy Foods. Spicy foods such as Mexican and Thai foods can actually help boost your metabolism. Eat low-fat, spicy foods a few times each week and watch as you burn more calories.
- Walk With a Friend. When walking with friends, you’re usually so busy talking that you don’t even notice that you’re exercising. Bonus: you have scheduled times to hang out with your friends on a regular basis.
- Have More Sex. Sex is possibly one of the most enjoyable calorie-burning activity out there. Increase the number of times per week that you have sex with your partner, and increase the number of calories you burn at the same time.
- Drink Coffee. Have a cup of plain black coffee before a workout, and you’ll have improved circulation, which will lead to more energy and more stamina during your workouts, thereby leading to increased calorie burning.
- Sit Up Straight. Practicing correct posture will help strengthen core muscles and improve circulation at the same time. Along with that, practicing proper posture can give the appearance of a slimmer you and a flatter tummy. Follow mom’s age-old advice and sit up straight!
- Incorporate Laughter Into Each Day. Laughter is not only the best medicine, as the old saying goes, it burns calories to boot! Find a fun way to burn more calories and incorporate laughter into each and every day whenever you can.
- Play Some Music. Music almost always gets the feet tapping and the hands snapping. This constant movement to the beat of playing music will ensure you’re burning more calories throughout the day.
- Keep Healthy Snacks Handy. Often times we gain weight because we wait until we’re half-starved before we eat and then end up bingeing on whatever food is available. By keeping healthy snacks handy at all times, we help our blood sugar levels to stay steady, ensuring our metabolism runs properly.
Burning more calories doesn’t have to involve spending hours at the gym. By using the above 10 tips, you can increase the number of calories you burn each day without even noticing that you’re moving more.
This Site Was Inspired By An Interest in Protecting the Environment:
We had the privilege and joy of learning from Dr. Charlie Stine who instilled a love for the natural world through incredible field trips with the Johns Hopkins Odyssey Certificate program in Environmental Studies. At the time, the program was endorsed by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Sadly, after Dr. Stine retired, the program was phased out. We hope that we honor his legacy by shining a bright light on environmental issues and sharing good news about the success of various conservation programs when possible.
Subscribe to our email newsletter to get the latest posts delivered right to your email.